Session 7 - The God below the surface


After the long storm passes, we made it back to the fort. Before we could properly clean off the muck and grime, Rokah met us at the front gate. He asked if we were still planning on assisting him in infiltrating the Commander's quarters. After some discussions where Confodore didn't think we needed to risk our involvement, I pointed out that our reputations could be tarnished in Nyanzaru if we did not fulfill our agreement. Harrp, surprisingly, breaks the deadlock and we decided to cause our disruption as promised. Honestly, I didn't remember ever hearing Harrp talk before... He has such a lovely voice hidden in that hulking scaled body.

What's even more shocking is that Harrp made up a plan! He gathered all the ghoul heads we had collected and tells Brick to strike him when Commander Liara is watching. I went to the keep and told Gruta we have returned with information and undead scalps. Gruta wanted us to enter the keep but I said it would be better if Liara came to us as to keep the stench and desecration of the ghoul heads out side of her bed space.

I then led Liara and Gruta to the two dragonborn. Harrp began his ruse. He claimed that he alone had killed the ghouls and that he alone should garnish the reward. Harrp then took a mighty swing which landed in Brick's gut. Wow! Harrp and Brick are really great actors! It looked as if Harrp had really belted Brick and Brick truly looked hurt and then pissed off! I couldn't tell that they weren't actually fighting!

Their mock fight gathered the attention of everyone in the area. I could see some of the nearby guards even making wagers. Liara became furious and ordered them to stop fighting. She became even more upset when they ignored her. Just as she was about to summon the guards, I subtly started a bonfire in the garden. I alerted the Commander and then volunteered to help... by bumbling around with a water bucket. Just as suddenly as I started the fire, Kuwasha, the dinosaur trainer, used magic to douse the flames.

I then poured water where the fire had been to mess up the site so it would be hard to investigate. I noticed a strange plant man tilling the garden. I asked him a few questions but he did not respond. Kuwasha says his name is Weed and that he's a Vegi-pygmy. He was an orphan but now he is Kuwasha's companion in taking care of nature. Kuwasha says his goal is to protect Chult from the undead. I kind of think he was talking about the land itself and not the inhabitants that walk on feet and do business with coins...

I then noticed Rokah walking about the square as he gave me a wink. He must have gotten what he was after.

I joined him, along with the rest of the party, when we were well out of earshot from anyone at the fort. Confodore must have really sweet talked the Commander because we each received more gold than was originally discussed. Rokah also pays us. In addition he shows us a jade gem with a face on one side. He's not sure what it is, what it means, or why Liara had it hidden along with a manifest he had taken.

We then decided to stay the night and went to the docks the next morning. When we reached the ship a large man calling himself Captain Oxford Karile asked who we were. He then asked how he would best be used on the voyage. I volunteered to be the lead rat catcher. The captain agreed. He introduced us to "The Raider's Lament." A fine looking vessel baring the Baldur's Gate flag.

Rokah shows up, seemingly out of nowhere. He produced a ledger saying The Raider's Lament isn't on the shipping manifest he stole. This manifest also had a list of ships that were to head north from Port Nyanzaru. He posits this would be useful to pirates. He also has a parchment showing the ship is undocumented and that Commander Portir has no knowledge of this ship in these waters. I am really not one to follow the diplomacy of sea trade and guilds and whatnot. Rokah must have noticed my eyes were beginning to glaze over for then he offered the strange jade item he had found the previous night.

The glaze must have been thick for when he tried to sneak the gem into my hand... I fumbled it. It began rolling off the deck and about to fall into the sea when Confodore brilliantly captured the stone. At first I didn't think he could retrieve the gem but somehow he managed. He is such a lucky little fellow sometimes.

Confodore inspected the jade and recalled that Chultan tribes used to share such stones when they made alliances and could magically communicate with one another over great distances. We wondered who might have the partnering stone and who Liara was communicating with...

The next morning the waves began to grow. The skies darkened. The water roiled. My hairs became frizzy. Then, to my astonishment, an island erupted from the sea! But then the island opened an eye and revealed a beak! The island was actually a beast, a dragon! A real, live dragon!

And then it spoke, with a voice of thunder. It spoke in draconic, which apparently is not a common language in Chult. He called himself Aremog and said we were trespassing on his Bay. He demanded we pay tribute. I trembled and meekly handed over my bag of gold. He swallowed that bag and demanded more. I offered my bag of silver, which seemed to insult the Great Sea worm. He lashed out with his massive tail and many sailors fell to the deck from the concussive force.

Harrp, once again astonishing me, began speaking with such eloquence I nearly began to weep. He talked of a common draconic kinship and how they were allies and not foes. Aremog agreed to allow us passage but to have tribute ready if we ever returned.

We then had a comfortable week of smooth sailing until we were awoken to a commotion up on deck. We our party had reached the poop (deck) we saw fish people, more pirahna than common sea fish to be precise, were climbing on board from the open sea. They seemed focused on the Captain and some of them pulled him overboard! It was then that I noticed the sharks! My greatest fear! The thought of a fish eating a cat is just against the laws of nature!

Nuru summoned a spell that he said would aid us. I thought, "What would Coatl do?" He is a god and would just god the sharks away. But I am not Coatl and I must save the captain the Chester way. I teleported into the water and helped the captain back on board. I dodged as best I could and when the Captain was safe, I teleported myself back on the boat.

We were able to kill all the fish men, save one that escaped. The Captain was badly hurt but Nuru would keep him alive.

A cloud that looked like "400xp" appeared above our ship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Session 1: The Arrival at Port Nyanzaru

Session 4: Fort Beluarian

Session 8 - Nuru's Voyage